Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
And when it comes to digital marketing, working smarter means taking full advantage of what’s already working.
Whether you’re just starting to write blog posts, or you’ve been doing it for awhile you may need some help to come up with topics for your blog posts.
This post will show to come up with an unlimited supply of blog post ideas based on the premise that you’re going to imitate that which is already working.
5 steps to writing blog posts in your sleep:
- Find out what blog posts are already going viral
- Improve upon the existing blog post
- Be inspired by powerful headlines that are already working
- Adapt the headline to fit your blog post
- Publish & spend the rest of the day in the hammock, lavishing in the attention from your adoring fans.
Sure, that sounds easy- but where to start?
First, the research portion. Finding out what posts are trending is easy, if you have this Top 5 Trending list:
Find out what to blog about.
- Check out alltop.com for posts that are trending
- Search Google Keyword + Best + Top 50 + Best 2014 for great blog post ideas.
- Go to the Reddit home page
- Go to BuzzFeed.com
- Check out medium.com
5 Stupidly Easy Ways to Improve Upon Successful Content
Once you’ve found an article that would provide value for your audience to you, spend a few minutes and think on how you can improve it.
We’re not suggesting you copy the post. Simply use it as a basis from which to start. Then, ask yourself these 5 questions:
- If it’s a top 10 list, can you make it into a top 15 list?
- Inversely, if it’s a top 10 list, can you make it a top 5 list?
- Can you improve upon the image used?
- Was there any information missed or outdated?
- Can you make it easier or more fun to read?
Creating the best headline for your blog post
Again, we’re going to be inspired by the masters. Check out the headlines on websites like these and make note of one or two exceptionally powerful ones
Create the best headline you’ve ever not written
Take the most compelling headline you’ve found and modify it to fit your subject matter.
Publish & revel in your glory.
BONUS Advanced Blogging Manœuvres:
- Instal Feedly.com and begin compiling a Google Reader Style aggregate of other industry specific sites that may have great content
- Instal the Scrape Extension & Use the “Scrape Similar” feature to get even more hot articles and topics
- Opensiteexplorer.com will tell you the most popular pages on any given site– ie- your competitors!
This article would not have been possible without the amazing presentation by James WD Anderson at Social Media Camp 2014.
Thank you James!
Did you like this post?
Please share it ! Or, if you have a minute and are procrastinating right now, leave me a comment below.