Forgetting the “rules” of social media? No worries, things change so quickly it can be difficult to keep up.
That’s why we’ve created this printable social media cheat sheet – 22 Do’s and Don’ts for success!
12 Social Media DO’s
1. Champion others – share their stories, like and comment on their news feeds and support them in their endeavors. The law of reciprocity means they will return the favor.
2. Give to get – Give helpful, entertaining, funny, inspiring or clever content to your social media audience. The more you can provide value, the better your odds of ensuring your content is shared, thereby growing your network.
3. Use multimedia – Use image or video based content whenever possible.
4. Optimize your accounts – YouTube, LinkedIn and Facebook properties all appear in Google Search, Google + does as well, but Twitter does not anymore. If possible, use your keywords in your usernames.
5. ASK. Ask people to share, comment, like, re-tweet, sign up for your newsletter, visit your website or whatever you want them to do.
6. Be interested not interesting: be genuinely engaged with your social media contacts. Check in and see how they are, like their statuses, wish them happy birthday, ask their opinion.
7. Grow your network: Add all contacts you meet in real life and send them a hello message. Regularly add your email contacts and people you might know to your various social media profiles.
8. Add your social media live feeds, or at the very least, icons to your website or blog.
9. Suggest your Facebook page to friends on a weekly basis and participate in Follow Friday on Twitter
10. Ask your network to promote you
11. Comment on the news and events of the day
12. On Twitter – Use Hashtags to contextualize your conversation and connect with others discussing the same topics
Social Media Don’ts:
1. Don’t create an account and abandon it – set aside 10 minutes a day to check in and post something
2. Don’t be offensive or post in bad taste – you can be opinionated without being rude
3. Don’t talk only about yourself – self-centred people are as off putting online as they are off.
4. Don’t fail to acknowledge when people interact with you – it’s just rude
5. Don’t Sell, Sell, Sell! – no one likes a pushy sales person
6. Don’t make Spelling Mistakes: Use spellcheck!
7. Don’t expend a bunch of energy without a strategic plan
8. Don’t assign your social media marketing in its entirety to an intern – they can help you, but make sure their work is on point and you’re coaching them. Remember they are representing you online.
9. Don’t get too familiar – you can be cordially social without providing too much information
10. Don’t get into contentious or political conversations unless they’re part of your brand and you’re prepared for the fact not everyone is going to agree with you
Follow these 22 simple tips and you’ll have a failsafe methodology for engaging with your customers, clients and prospects on social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Google + and more.
Behind these points is the guiding principle of being genuinely likeable and providing value to your audience.
By being interested in others and consistently applying these tips, you’ll be well on your way to social media mastery
Learn more about Social Media.
I’d love to hear your questions or challenges – Tell me in the comments below.
And, if you enjoyed this post, please share it!
Laurel Lindsay is a Calgary Internet Marking Consultant & President of The New Media Group Inc. She has over 8 years hands-on Internet Marketing experience.
Laurel is enthusiastic and passionate about helping people live better lives by leveraging the power of the internet.