There is such a huge range of costs and methods of billing to get on google that it can be confusing to know what is a good deal, and what is too good to be true. Likewise, it can be hard to understand why some firms charge 10 times more than others for what appears to be the same work.
Here is a breakdown of the different billing types, SEO Package services, and rates that typical SEO Companies will offer you to ensure your company’s website will get on Google:
- Per hour: According to a 2012 survey by SEO MOZ, most SEO professionals charge between $76-$200/hour to help you get on Google.
- Flat rate or per project: Many firms will charge a flat rate for a very specific service to be performed ie: keyword analysis, site optimization or backlink creation
- Retainer: By far the most popular, a monthly retainer ensures specific services are performed each month. The advantage of this model is flexibility in allocating resources to what service within the offering is needed the most at that time.
Most common types of services needed to help you get on Google:
- Pay per Click: offering to create and manage your ads for you
- Google + local: claim your google + page
- Inbound organic optimization: creating backlinks and directory listings to point back to your site and drive traffic
- Web optimization: adjusting and tweaking the code of your site, including metatags to better “tell: the search engines what your site is about
- Content marketing: Creating keyword heavy blog posts for distribution across the web.
Variables to the cost to get on Google:
- Amount of competition for keywords/ complexity of goal
- Size and complexity of site
- Experience of SEO firm
- Range of services provided- full service to bare minimum
Price Range of services that will help:
Keyword Analysis: The low range is around $250, and the highest range is $2500. The variable can be attributed to how in depth the report is, and how experienced the SEO packages professional
Site Optimization: The low range is around $300 and the high range caps at $3000. For best results, ask for a price range based on hours of work. This directly correlates to how big and complex the website is.
Monthly retainer: For on-going SEO Packages: (Site and External to Site Services) $1000-$3000.
Content Marketing: Blogging + content submission: $500-$2500 a month, depending on how many hours/blog posts.
Google + Page Claim: $300 month seems to be the average price, but they go as high as $500.
Social Media Management: Yes, Social Media and SEO are blending into each other, making it hard to do one without the other.
Internet Marketing Consulting and Recommendations: Range from $76-$200 on average. Most SEO firms will include a set number of hours in their monthly retainer SEO Packages.
It’s recommended that, at the very minimum, your SEO package includes not just recommendations, but actual hand coded SEO Optmization of your website.
It is also recommended that your provider use the triple prong approach to off page SEO: Places, Organic, and Paid. This way you can cancel your SEO Package and still receive the benefits of a high ranking website well into the future.
For more information on the three ways to get on Google.
I’d love to hear your questions or challenges – Tell me in the comments below.
And, if you enjoyed this post, please share it!
Laurel Lindsay is a Calgary Internet Marking Consultant & President of The New Media Group Inc. She has over 8 years hands-on Internet Marketing experience.
Laurel is enthusiastic and passionate about helping people live better lives by leveraging the power of the internet.